I’m facing criminal charges. What should I do?

First and foremost, you need to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney with a proven record of success. Avoid discussing the details of your case with anyone aside from your lawyer and inform law enforcement officials that you are being represented and will not answer any questions without your lawyer present.

What’s the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor? Do I need a lawyer for both?

To put it in simple terms, felonies are more serious than misdemeanors in both the severity of the crime and the possible punishments for a conviction. That being said, you should absolutely retain a criminal defense attorney for misdemeanors as well as felonies. Even misdemeanor convictions can result in jail time and heavy fines.

Can I go to jail for a DUI?

In some cases, yes. It depends on several factors, including whether or not you’ve had previous DUIs, if someone else was hurt due to your drunk driving, how high your BAC percentage was, and how you handle your arrest, to name a few. Any person facing DUI charges should retain a criminal defense lawyer before proceeding.

Can I lose my license for traffic offenses?

That is definitely a possibility. Each driving offense results in points against your driving record and too many points may be grounds for suspension or revocation of your license. If you are facing legal trouble due to traffic offenses, the smartest thing to do is to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer to represent you.

What’s the difference between criminal and civil litigation?

Civil litigation cases do not result in any criminal punishments, but instead seek to recover monetary damages. Some actions can result in both criminal and civil litigation, but they are tried separately and differently. For example, if you are caught destroying someone else’s property, you will likely be prosecuted for criminal vandalism, as well as be sued by the victim for compensation for the damage. Gary L. Morris can represent plaintiffs and defendants in both criminal and civil litigation cases.

What constitutes a “small claims” case versus any other kind of case?

A civil litigation case in which one party is seeking to recover $10,000 or less will be tried in small claims court and it will likely be a quick ordeal. Any case seeking more than $10,000 in compensation or damages needs to be tried in a higher jurisdiction court.

Do I need a lawyer in addition to my real estate agent?

Yes. Real estate agents are not permitted to handle legal documents, provide legal advice or counsel, and they cannot serve as both agent and lawyer, even if they have a law degree due to ethical concerns. Though you are not required by Illinois law to retain a real estate attorney, it is the safest thing to do to ensure your assets are protected.

If I get a divorce, will I have to pay child support?

Typically, whichever parent the child does not reside with will be required to make child support payments.

How many years of experience does Gary Morris have?

Gary L. Morris has been practicing law for over 40 years and has been in private practice for over 30 years!

What are your hours?

Our normal office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, but we are happy to meet with you outside of those hours as long as you request an appointment in advance.

Gary L. Morris Attorney at Law provides criminal defense, municipal law, and child support representation to Peoria, Tazewell, and McLean counties. If you have not found what you were looking for in our FAQ, please contact our office at (309) 676-1594 to schedule a free consultation.